09 February 2011

Clone of an Epic Clone

Okay finding what one needs down here in NZ can be frustrating from time to time ... with the exception of information the web is a beautiful place for that. I have found and plan on making an Epic IPA clone, but until we get all the ingredients (see first comment) I have to wait. Being the impatient man that I am I thought I would try something in line with my goal and learn.

Today I put down a clone of a clone. My research shows me that one can take an all grain recipe and with some simple multiplication change it to an extract recipe. I also figured out how to substitute Hops of various Alpha ratings. Taken together I was able to create a reasonable (I hope) facsimile of Epic IPA.

171g of Crystal Malt steeped for 30 minutes
Bring tea to a boil
add 1 Can of Coopers Ale and bring to boil again
add 1Kg of Dextrose and bring to a boil again
add 9g of Southern Cross for 60 minutes
add 15g of Southern Cross for 10 minutes
add 1/2tsp of IRish MOss
add 15g of Southern Cross for 1 minute

Put in primary with water

Let cool ... a long time took overnight

Pitch yeast

OG=1035

add 30g of Southern Cross in secondary for 4 days (have not done this yet!)



No comments: